Diabetic Eye/ Diabetic Retinopathy
The diabetic eye or diabetic retinopathy is a medical condition in which the blood vessels in the retina, starts to go through different kinds of changes.
- The blood vessels are liable to either leak fluid or bleed.
- In the initial stages of this condition, there may be no symptoms which indicate the development of a “Diabetic eye”
- But there may be a presence of only mild vision problems.
Get free consultation
More about “Diabetic Eye”
The diabetic eye can develop in any individual who is already suffering from “Type 1 or Type 2” diabetes. When an individual has been suffering from “Diabetes” for a long period of time, then he starts to loose more and more control over his blood sugar, which leads to a monumental increase in the development of a “Diabetic eye”.
At Eye Mantra Foundation, we have a methodical approach to treat the patients suffering from Diabetic eye. The treatment includes a comprehensive diagnosis of the problem and curation of a well-planned treatment plan for each patient.
SYMPTOMS OF DIABETIC EYE
You might not have symptoms, in the early stages of this medical condition. But with the progression of the disease, there may be an occurrence of the following symptoms:-
- An individual may start suffering from “Blurred vision”.
- When an individual is trying to focus on an object, his vision may fluctuate.
- There can severe impairment in his “color vision”.
- An individual may start seeing empty spaces in his vision.
- The worst possible outcome is the loss of a complete vision.
- In a large number of cases, it was observed that both eyes were affected by this medical condition.
WHEN DO YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR?
Early treatment of diabetes is the best way to stop the occurrence of vision loss. If an individual is suffering from diabetes, then he is advised to go for regular check-ups to his eye specialist. If a woman is pregnant, then diabetes may exacerbate the situation. In such cases, the pregnant woman is advised to pay more attention to her eye health.
TYPES OF DIABETIC EYE
There are two kinds of Diabetic eye, the former is known as “Early Diabetic eye” and the latter is known as “Advanced Diabetic eye”.
- Early Diabetic eye: – This medical condition is also known by the name of “Nonproliferative Diabetic retinopathy (NPDR). In this medical condition, there is no proliferation of new blood vessels.
If an individual has NDPR, then there is a weakening of walls of the blood vessels in his retina. There may be leakage of fluid and blood into the retina, through the little bulges (microaneurysms) which protrude from the vessel walls of the smaller vessels. Retinal vessels of big size may also start dilating and become odd in diameter,. As more and more blood vessels start getting blocked, NDPR moves to a more and more worsening state.
There may be swelling of nerve fibers within the retina.
- Advanced Diabetic eye or “Proliferative Diabetic eye”:-In this medical condition, there is the closing of damaged blood vessels, which further results in the expansion of the new and abnormal blood vessels within the retina, and the oddly shaped blood vessels may leak into the jelly-like substance which fills the eye’s middle part.
This whole process may lead to detachment of the retina from the eye’s front part because of “connective tissue”, which is stimulated by the generation of new blood vessels. If an individual’s retina gets detached, then he may start suffering from either partial or complete vision loss. When the new blood vessels disrupt the traditional flow of fluid out of the eye, there can be a build-up of pressure within the eyeball. There may be an occurrence of a severe complication known as “Glaucoma” if the aforementioned process takes place.
RISK FACTOR ASSOCIATED WITH DIABETIC EYE
- If an individual is suffering from “Diabetes” for a long period, then there is a high probability of the individual to be suffering from ‘Diabetic eye “also.
- An individual will gradually start losing control of the “Blood Sugar level”.
- An individual may also start suffering from “high blood pressure, high cholesterol”.
STAGES OF DIABETIC EYE
There are four stages of a “Diabetic eye”, which have been mentioned below:-
- Mild Nonproliferative Retinopathy
- Moderate Nonproliferative Retinopathy
- Severe Nonproliferative Retinopathy
- Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (PDR)
- “Vitreous hemorrhage”:- There may be bleeding of new blood vessels into the jelly-like substance which covers the center of an individual’s eye. In the case where bleeding does not amount to an excessive amount, then the individual will only start seeing tiny specks in his vision. But in the high severity cases, the vitreous cavity will be filled with blood, which will lead to a total vision blockage.
Vitreous hemorrhage cannot be considered solely responsible for complete vision loss. Unless an individual’s retina is broken, there will be the restoration of his vision.
- The condition of a damaged optic nerve is known as “Glaucoma”. This medical condition is usually hereditary.
- Blindness:- If an individual has reached an advanced stage of “Diabetic eye”, then he is liable to go blind with the progression of time.
TREATMENT FOR DIABETIC EYE
At Eye Mantra Foundation, we offer the best Diabetic eye treatment in India and our wide range of services includes “Comprehensive retina care” and “Diabetic eye management”. Our esteemed team of medical professionals uses cutting edge tech for safe and sound treatment of our patients. Our experienced Diabetic eye specialists conduct a comprehensive eye examination to detect and assess the severity level of Diabetic eye through an extensive series of tests.
- The cost of an “Avastin” injection is Rs.10,000.
- The cost of a “Razumab” injection is Rs.20,000.
- The cost of an “Accentrix”, injection is Rs.30,000.
- The cost of an “Ozurdex” injection is Rs.35000.
We also provide charitable services for the “underprivileged sections of society”. Because we believe in making the world a more happier place to live in.
So an individual who is in need of eye treatment, but is unable to afford the treatment expenses, can come to our hospital and his entire treatment will be done “free of cost or at a very nominal price”.
PREVENTION FROM DIABETIC EYE
There is no known method to prevent the occurrence of “Diabetic eye”. But if an individual goes for regular eye check-ups, and exercises proper control over his blood glucose level, then he can prevent the occurrence of the disease in the nearby future. The following preventive measures are suggested to avoid the occurrence of a “Diabetic eye”.
- An individual should manage his diabetes by ensuring the intake of healthy food. Physical activity should also be made part of the everyday routine. An individual should also ensure that every week he performs moderate aerobic activities for a minimum period of 150 minutes. Intake of oral diabetic medications or insulin must be done in the manner as instructed by the eye specialist.
- An individual should monitor his blood sugar level at close intervals and the eye specialist should be consulted in case of any complication.
- After performing a thorough eye exam, an eye specialist may prescribe the individual to undergo a “Glycosylated hemoglobin test”.The purpose of a glycosylated hemoglobin test, or hemoglobin A1C test, is to assess the blood sugar level for the last two- to three-months period. In most cases, the A1C goal is to be under 7 percent.
- An individual must ensure that he is keeping his blood pressure and cholesterol under control.
- Since smoking monumentally enhances the occurrence of several kinds of diabetes-related complications, an individual should quit smoking.
- An individual must pay attention to changes in his vision. He is advised to consult an eye specialist to avoid the occurrence of any kind of complication.
BEST EYE HOSPITALS IN DELHI FOR DIABETIC EYE
Deciding a hospital for treatment is not easy. If we objectively evaluate all the treatment facilities, in terms of training experience of doctors, and access to technology, as well as patient care and ease of access, then “Eye Mantra” is one of the best eye hospitals in Delhi for proper and fruitful treatment of Diabetic eye.
You can book an appointment with Dr. Shweta Jain at Eye Mantra. She is a renowned and experienced ophthalmologist who can help you get proper eye care treatment for “Diabetic eye”.
Contact us on : +91-8851044355