Computer Vision Syndrome
In the present scenario, everyone from kids to adults is engaged in digital technology. Especially in computer and laptops- Working hours in front of computer screens. That can put a true strain on one’s eyes and vision. This can head towards many symptoms such as red eyes, strain in neck and back, watery eyes, headaches and gritty eyes. This is not good for the eyes and healthy living. A Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS) indicates such a situation where eyes begin receiving this kind of symptoms across a period. Research has proven that between 50-90% of people who uses a computer have some of these symptoms.
Not only working adults are dealing with CVS – Even kids, who use mobile phones & tablets plus gaming devices have seen a rise in the symptoms.
When one should visit their Neuro-Ophthalmologist?
Mostly one’s eye doctor will normally advise visiting a specialist in Neuro-Ophthalmology next a complete eye testing, in situation one require specialized care. Neuro-Ophthalmology is a super specialty that unites the fields of neurology and ophthalmology.
The diagnosis and control of intricate systemic diseases of the nervous system that harm vision, eye movements, and alignment, as well as pupillary reflexes.
Often, the signs that prompt such a referral involve those connected with optic nerve disease or the nervous system part that combines the eyes to the brain. Additional reasons can be the diseases harming the pupils of the eye, and some kinds of squint -especially paralytic.
Treatment of Computer Vision Syndrome
Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS) is a disease in everyone’s lifestyle. Hence, its prevention is better than its cure. Few lifestyle changes can guarantee that one will experience- Viewing all screen devices without any restrictions and hassles.
The modifications that one can simply make in their life to avoid the syndrome involve:
- Limit screen viewing time: Be aware of the quantity of time one spends on-screen devices. Also, attempt to reduce dependency on smartphones and laptops.
- Assure about proper posture and position: Make sure the keyboard is placed to support one’s wrists. Also, the computer screen is placed in such a way that one can look down on the monitor.
Mostly, the computer screen needs to be 15 to 20 degrees below eye level. About 4 or 5 inches as estimated from the middle of the screen and 20 to 28 inches from the eyes. Avoid reading off screen devices in bed, or in a semi-reclining.
- Take proper breaks from screens: Do not watch at a screen without taking breaks. Learn and follow the 20-20-20 rule. In which one should look in every 20 minutes at anything placed 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Think and Blink: Retain the strategy of blinking. Since blinking assists to redistribute the tear film. Plus prevents dryness of the eyes.
- An adequate amount of light: Assure that there is proper ambient lighting. Make sure one does not work in the dark. Plus, avoid glare into screens by changing its brightness. Assuring the sufficient position of ambient lights.
- Wear spectacles: Make sure one’s vision obstacles are treated. Also, one’s eyeglasses prescription is valid till date. Limit the usage of contact lenses since they increase dryness and strain.
- Do use teardrops: Use over the counter, preservative free lubricating eye drops to relax and relieve eyes. Do not use any home remedies like honey, rosewater or other natural ingredients. Never self-medicate or apply steroid drops except prescribed by an ophthalmologist.
- See your eye doctor: In the state, one is facing signs or symptoms that insist on the strain in eyes. Please make sure to go for a complete eye test with their preferable eye doctor. As these symptoms can sometimes mean other diseases involving undiagnosed refractive errors.
Causes of a Computer Vision Syndrome
There are four foremost reasons for this syndrome:
- Looking at a bright- Lit screen determines the rate of blinking is reduced which is no good. This creates dryness in eyes that begin symptoms such as foreign body sensation, redness, soreness of eyes, sand in eyes feeling and grittiness
- Continued staring for near vision appears in convergence spasm of the small eye muscles. As the eyes are not geared for a long time to stay near one’s work. This creates headaches and additionally inability to focus at sometimes.
- Neck and back improper posting towards the computer screen or desk or chair results in an inappropriate way of viewing into the screens.Which is not good for the eyes. Reading in bed from screen devices also creates notable problems.
- One is more likely prone to this syndrome. If one already has a preexisting dryness in the eyes. Also, if he/she are not wearing the correct power of spectacles.
How is diagnose Computer Vision Syndrome or Digital Eye Strain?
Through comprehensive eye examination, Computer vision syndrome or Digital eye strain can be diagnosed. Testing, with specific importance on visual essentials at the computer or digital device working distance, may involve:
- Patient past records to learn any symptoms the patient is experiencing.The presence of any comprehensive health problems. Medications are taken by the patient at an earlier time. Environmental factors that may be indicating to the symptoms linked to computer usage.
- Visual acuity measurements to evaluate the amount to which vision may be affected.
- Refraction to learn about the suitable lens power required to compensate for any refractive errors. That can be nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism.
- Examining how the eyes focus, move and work together. In state to obtain a clear plus single image of what is being viewed. The eyes need to effectively change the focus, move and work in cooperation. This testing will watch out for difficulties that keep one’s eyes from focusing completely or make it tough to use both eyes together.
Low Vision Techniques
Enhance the lighting in the house and also replace light bulbs with bulbs of greater wattage. Moreover, make all nooks and crannies are enough explained to limit falls and grow visibility. Let’s discuss a few of the low vision techniques in detail.
- Decrease glare: Modify light switches to reduce and secure one’s eyes from dazzle by wearing sunglasses. Also, a wide-brimmed hat gives a shield to one’s eyes. Women can use a dupatta or stole covered around their face shielding eyes.
- Use huge, bright felt tip markers for writing and shopping lists. Also, Use a whiteboard to mark the necessary dates and calendars.
- Select low vision devices: Watches, remotes, and thermostats that talk back are also easily available and reasonable in cost.
Dr. Shweta Jain
Dr. Rajiv Mohan
Dr. Sanjiv Mohan
MS from Dharwad university, Belgaum.
Trained for higher surgical training in Scotland U.K for 2 years.
Experience: Dr. Sanjiv Mohan has an experience of over 18 years as an Ophthalmologist”
Frequently Asked Questions
Some types of oculoplastic surgery are recognized both medically necessary and cosmetic. For example, certain eyelid and periocular problems can harm a person’s appearance, vision, eye comfort, and eye health.