Bachelor of Optometry: A Complete guide about Colleges, mode of examination and Career Oppurtunities.
Apply For Bachelor in Optometry
Get free consultation
Students who have completed their 12th class with at least 50% aggregate marks in the science stream, can only apply for this course. The sub-stream of science must be “PCMB”.
What is the admission procedure for this course?
- Most of the colleges that offer this course to students have adopted and followed the merit-based admission method only.
- But a few colleges take entrance exams also.
- Although a certain number of colleges, also use the NEET score, to make an offer of admission to the students.
How to apply for this course?
- The first and foremost thing a student must do is to visit the particular college’s website, in which he wants to take admission. After that, the student must create an ID for his application process.
- Then the students should log in with the ID, and fill the application form in a completely detailed manner.
- In the third step, the students should pay the course fee.
- In certain cases, a college can also ask the student to provide certain documents. So the students must make sure to submit the required documents asked by the college.
- After all this has been done, the student will receive the admit card when the college has processed his application.
Entrance exams for “Bachelor of Optometry”
All India Institute Of Medical Sciences:-
AIIMS conducts an entrance exam for admission in various medical courses. This entrance exam will test a student’s knowledge about the foundational topics of “Physics, Chemistry, and Biology”.
CMC (Christian Medical College):-
It also conducts an entrance exam for this course. Based on the results of the exam, the students are offered admission. The exam pattern of NEET is a lot identical to the exam pattern of this entrance exam.
NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test):-
This entrance exam is held at a national level. Upon clearing the NEET exam, students are offered admissions by top medical colleges. A student has the option to choose from different kinds of medical courses. This entrance exam also tests the student’s grasp on subjects such as “physics, chemistry, and biology”.
A Brief about the course: “Bachelor of Optometry”
- The primary focus of this course is a detailed study of the eyes. This course also teaches a student about the diverse kinds of diseases which plagues the human eye.
- Therefore it can also be said, that this course allows a student to learn about different kinds of eye ailments and how those eye ailments can be treated.
- This course is meant for those students who are deeply interested in the field of “Optometry” and want to make a career in this field only.
- This course also teaches students to operate different kinds of machines which are used to assess different eye ailments.
Keynotes about “Bachelor of Optometry”
|What is the level of this course?||Undergraduate Level|
|Duration of the course||4 years|
|Mode of examination||Semester|
|Eligibility Criteria||50% aggregate marks in “10+2” in the science stream.|
|Mode of Admission||Direct|
|Course fees||Ranging from Rs.10,000 to Rs.2,00,000|
|Basic salary package||Rs.4,35,000|
|Type of Job offered||Optometrist, Trainee Optometrist, Optometry Researcher, Vision Care Associate, Vision Consultant etc.|
|Name of College||City||Mode of Admission||Yearly fees|
|AIIMS||New Delhi||Entrance based||INR 1,145|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore||Entrance based||INR 23,255|
|SRM Institute of Technology||Kanchipuram||Entrance based||INR 1,30,000|
|Chitrakara University||Patiala||Merit-based||INR 1,14,000|
|ITM University||Gwalior||Merit-based||INR 1,20,000|
|Ansal University||Gurugram||Merit-Based||INR 1,28,000|
|Sharda University||Noida||Merit-Based||INR 1,26,000|
|Shri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education||Chennai||Merit-based||INR 1,50,000|
Advantages of studying Bachelor of Optometry
- The study of this course leads to a career in a highly respectable profession.
- If you choose to study this course, you will also have the option to pursue further studies in this field (Masters in Optometry, Ph.D.). There are a huge number of job opportunities available in the field of “Optometry”. You can choose to work in eye care centers, hospitals, etc.
- Through this course, you get to learn about the various intrinsic details of the most sensitive organ of the human body, known as the “eye”. This course will also teach you about the operating procedures of machines used in the field of eye care, and most of these machines are equipped with the latest technology.
- You can start your eye care center and become a self-reliant individual.
Syllabus for “Bachelor of Optometry”
- General Anatomy & Physiology
- Physical Optics & Lighting
- Geometrical Optics
- Communicative English I
- Environmental Sciences
- Ocular Anatomy
- Ocular Physiology
- Ocular Biochemistry and Basic Pharmacology
- Microbiology and Pathology
- Communicative English II
- Basic of Computer and Math for Biologists
- Practical Basic Lab Technology
- Practical Optometry
- Optometric Optics I
- Optometric Instrumentation
- Clinical Examination of the Visual System
- Geometrical Optics II
- Communicative English III
- Analytical reasoning I
- Geometrical Optics Practical
- Optometric Instrumentation Practical
- Optometric Optics II
- Ocular diseases I
- Nutrition and Medical Psychology
- Dispensing Optics I
- Analytical Reasoning II
- Communicative English IV
- Practical Optometric Optics
- Ocular diseases II
- Visual Rehabilitation & Vision training & Sports Vision
- Visual Optics (I) & (II)
- Visual Optics I Practical
- Visual Optics II Practical
- Binocular Vision I
- Major Eye Diseases
- Contact Lenses I
- Public Health and Hygiene
- Community Optometry
- Occupational Optometry
- Practical Glaucoma
- Practical Contact Lenses I
- Low Vision aid Binocular Vision II
- Pediatric Optometry & Geriatric Optometry
- Contact Lenses II
- Practical Low Vision Aid
- Law, Basic Accountancy & Public Relations
Career Opportunities after completion of the course:-
- You can start your career as an “Optometrist” and earn an annual salary of Rs.3,50,000.
- You can become an “Optometry researcher” and earn an annual income of Rs.5,00,000.
- You can become an “Ophthalmologist” and earn an annual salary of Rs.6,00,000.
- You can become an “Optician” and earn an annual salary of Rs.4,00,000.
- You can become a “Vision Consultant” and earn an annual income of Rs.3,00,000.