To be a suitable candidate for ICL, you should be:
- At least 18 years old
- Your specs number should be stable for about a year – minor changes do not disqualify you from becoming a candidate
- Ladies should not be pregnant or be breastfeeding
- You should not have any eye disease
- Controlled diabetes is not a contraindication.
Absolute Indications for ICL
- Eye power more than -8 dioptres up to -18 dioptres
- Cornea thinner than 450 microns
- Cylinder power of the eye more than 3.5 diopters
- Unhealthy cornea including Keratoconus
- Dry eye situations
- Any situation where LASIK is not a suitable option
Types Of ICL
|ICL TORIC BLADE-LESS, STITCH-LESS||ICL SPHERICAL STITCH-LESS|
|BEST VISUAL OUTCOMES||US-FDA APPROVED|
|BEST VISUAL OUTCOMES||US-FDA APPROVED|
Relative Indications for ICL
All indications for Contoura Vision/LASIK/SMILE are also indications of ICL as it is considered to provide high definition vision and is not tampering with the cornea as in the case of Contoura Vision/LASIK/SMILE procedures.
Over 6,00,000 ICL’s have been implanted worldwide over the last 16 years. ICL surgery is the best option in specs power of -8 or more. In lower powers, they are preferred when the cornea is thin, if you have dry eyes and LASIK is not advisable.
Benefits of ICL
Precise Vision Correction
ICL has been approved in Europe since 1997 and in the U.S. since 2005. In that time, over 500,000 eyes have been implanted with ICLs by certified, specialized surgeons with study showing a 99% patient satisfaction rate. In addition to that, one also gets the following benefits:
- No dry eyes
- High definition vision which is sharp and crisp
- Excellent Night Vision
- Preferred choice in thin corneas
- UV protection is inbuilt in ICL
- A typically quick, 15-minute procedure and most people can resume daily activities in just a few short days with clearer vision
For people who value health and wellness, the ICL surgery could be the choice for you. The Collamer base of the lens material is 100% biocompatible, meaning it is designed to function in harmony with your body’s chemistry.
Peace of Mind
The ICL can give you the freedom to live a life uninhibited by the day-to-day lifestyle demands of glasses and contacts. Your favorite activities and new adventures are on the horizon usually in a few short days.
One of the most common concerns people have about the laser-based correction is that the procedure permanently changes the shape of their eye by removing corneal tissue. The advantage of the ICL is that it can permanently correct your vision yet no natural tissue is removed or reshaped in any way during the procedure. If for the unlikely reason you need or wish to remove your ICLs in the future, your doctor can accommodate you.
During the initial stages of various retinal diseases, generally, no symptoms are seen apart from the change or blurring in vision. During the later stages of the disorders, vision losses start to occur which may get worse if not treated properly.
In case, if one feels that there is a problem in the eye, they should immediately consult an eye specialist for further examination. If it is a retinal disease, receiving immediate treatment will increase the chances of regaining or retaining your vision, and limit further loss. During the regular eye checkups or consulting with our professionals, we identify various problems of the eye and suggest solutions accordingly. During the initial stages of the retinal difficulties, generally, some precautions and a set of essential medicines and eye drops are recommended for the treatment.
If the diseases are at advanced stages or they are not being cured with the primary treatment, surgery is then recommended after examining the eye condition and understanding the patient’s problems. This is the time when a highly experienced surgeon would step in and identify what type of surgery is needed and what will be the recovery time.
Lenses Used in Surgery – EVO Visian Implantable Collamer Lenses (EVO Visian ICL)
Most folks go through life without ever experiencing the problems instigated by retina related diseases but conditions like Diabetic Retinopathy, uveitis etc. can cause permanent blindness if not treated at the right time. Spectra Eye hospital has a team of doctors with an unmatched experience to offer the most complex retina surgeries in a safe way.
At Eyemantra Eye Centre, only the EVO Visian Implantable Collamer Lens made by Staar Surgical of Switzerland is used. EVO Visian ICLs are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Although other manufacturers also make Implantable Collamer Lenses, the EVO Visian brand is reliable and performs very well. They are made of collagen, a naturally occurring substance that is compatible with the human body.
The EVO Visian ICL also contains an ultraviolet ray filter to protect the eyes from the harmful effects of sunlight. The newest version of the EVO Visian ICL allows the aqueous humor, the natural fluid within the eye, to flow through a hole in the lens. The flow of fluid enhances the natural environment around the lens.
The lens is implanted in front of the natural lens of your eye just behind the iris. The micro-thin, clear lens cannot be felt and does not require any maintenance.
Cost of ICL Surgery in Delhi
In an overview of the price of ICL surgery in Delhi, the ICL implants range from approximately INR 80,000 to INR 1,25,000 per eye (approx.). The cost of EVO Visian Implantable Collamer Lenses may seem high at first glance. However, when you consider that the EVO Visian ICL implant is permanent, you may save money over the long term.
There is not a preset fee for a EVO Visian lens. The cost depends on your prescription, your doctor and where you have the procedure done. EVO Visian ICL costs more than LASIK surgery. Costs factored into the procedure include:
- A thorough exam and pre-surgical screening to ensure proper fit and prescription.
- A custom-made lens of high-quality and proprietary material.
- Hospital and surgeon’s fees.
- Post-procedure follow-ups.
When you compare costs of an implant to a pair of eyeglasses, you may spend the same or more over a period of 10 years for the glasses. If you have a strong prescription, you may opt for thinner lenses, which cost more. When you include UV, anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings, the price of spectacles increases dramatically. Frames also add to the price. A single pair of spectacles can easily cost a lot of money. You can easily end up spending as much as the surgery over a period of 10 years.
After an ICL implant, 95 percent of the patients do not need glasses or contact lenses. If you are in the 5 percent of people who may need external vision aids after an ICL implant, there are ways to achieve better visual acuity. If you are over 45 years old, you may need reading glasses.
Dr. Shweta Jain
Dr. Rajiv Mohan
Dr. Sanjiv Mohan
MS from Dharwad university, Belgaum.
Trained for higher surgical training in Scotland U.K for 2 years.
Experience: Dr. Sanjiv Mohan has an experience of over 18 years as an Ophthalmologist”
Frequently Asked Questions
In advanced cases there is a complete loss of sight and lens becomes pearly white in colour.
If you experience any of the following issues, schedule an appointment with your eye doctor immediately:
- Cloudy or blurry vision
- Double vision (diplopia)
- Fading of colours
- Seeing halos around lights
- An increased sensitivity to glare
- A distortion of vision that makes objects appear as if you’re looking at them through a veil.
Cataracts are the world’s leading cause of blindness, accounting for approximately 42 percent of all cases of blindness in all the countries, luckily its easily treatable in the present age through a simple surgery.
Some infants are also afflicted by cataract, which is caused as a result of infections during pregnancy. The disorder can also be a symptom of metabolic disease affecting the body’s processing of carbohydrates, amino acids, calcium or copper among infants and young kids. If left untreated, cataracts might also lead to blindness.
You may go home with an eye pad and shield, or just a shield. The pad can be removed after the first hour. The shield should be worn at night for the first week.
The eye may feel gritty, and sometimes you may experience some mild headache. These symptoms are common. The discomfort should rapidly improve over the next 24 hours. There should be no worsening of your symptoms. If your discomfort or a headache should deteriorate, you should contact your doctor immediately.
Your vision will normally be much better on Day 2. Sometimes there can be some blurring or misting in the eye, but this should improve over the course of the day. If you feel your vision is becoming more blurred, contact your hospital immediately.
If you take part in a sport that risks a poke in the eye, you should discuss returning to these activities with your surgeon before the operation. You should not go swimming for the first 2 to 4 weeks to minimize the risk of infection. When cycling in the first few weeks following surgery, keep your sunglasses on to reduce the impact of dust.
Jobs that are more physically demanding and involve exposure to liquids or dust might require a more graduated return to full activities, but are best discussed with your surgeon.
You may opt to choose for lenses which provide you vision for distance and near. In such cases, dependency on glasses is reduced.
Routine surgery can only correct the spherical component of the eye leaving behind the cylinder power which has to be later corrected by additional prescription glasses.
With advancements in surgical techniques and IOL (artificial lens) designs, today both spherical and cylinder components of the eye can easily be corrected with the highest precision.
The cylinder component in Cataract Surgery can be corrected by three ways
- LRI or Limbal Relaxing Incisions: In this technique, a Femto Laser is used to give highly precise incisions at the periphery of the cornea to induce cylinder correction. Since these incisions are given by a laser, it can only be coupled with a Femto Cataract Surgery.
- Toric Lenses with Verion Digital Axis Marking: Toric lenses are special lenses which have both cylinder, and spherical component build in one lens. Since cylinder axis varies in individual eyes, the lens has to be aligned to the specific axis of the individual. In such cases, even a minor deviation from the original axis can cause significant disturbance in final visual outcomes. Now with the introduction of Verion Digital Axis Marking system, these toric lenses can be aligned with outmost precision, up to 1 degree.
- Toric Lenses with Manual Marking: As discussed above, the final visual outcome in a toric lens depends on how precisely it is aligned to the original cylindrical axis of the eye. Since the manual markings cannot be as precise as digital markings, the manual system may give slightly inferior results compared to the digital system.