What do Vision Supplements mean?
Vision supplements are nutritional products. They are products that contain vitamins and other nutrients, which are beneficial for the eyes. These supplements add to the nutrients, you get from a healthy diet which is essential for good eye health. These supplements can only add to your diet for good eye health but cannot make up for the junk food diet most people have.
Healthy Diet For Good Eye Health
A healthy diet for enhancing your eye health might some or most include:
- Whole grains
- Fat-free and low-fat milk products
- Lean meats
Switching to vegetables and fruits which are high in calories and low on nutrients, can be harmful to the eye.
The supplements can add to the nutritional gaps after the consumption of this diet. It can protect your eyes from diseases like cataracts, age-related macular degeneration, and retinal detachment.
Vision Supplements For Eye Care
These supplements are found in AREDS2 capsules which help your eye maintain good health. The supplements include:
- Zinc: Zinc is an antioxidant that protects the eyes against cell damage. It is also found naturally in the eyes. It is the primary material found in AREDS2.
- Lutein: Lutein is a form of carotenoids. It is a pigment found in the plants of the retina. Taking these supplements can increase the density of your retina. These can absorb huge high-energy blue and UV light which damages your eyes.
- Vitamin B1: Vitamin B1 also known as anti-stress B vitamins are the most essential vitamin found in the eye which can prevent your eyes from getting cataracts.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C reduces the risk of getting different types of cataracts. The combination of Vitamin C and E can reduce the risk of getting cataracts and the progression of cataracts too.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Mainly, fish contains Omega-3 fatty acids. The photoreceptor cells in your retina also contain a large amount of omega-3 fatty acids. It helps in the development of retinal cells. In addition, it reduces corneal inflammation and helps the retina to heal after any damage.
Tips For Buying Vision Supplements
Here are the 5 tips for buying vision supplements:
- Check the expiration date of the supplement. Check if the product you buy is fresh and sealed.
- If you often have stomach upsets, capsules may be a better choice for you as they can get easily absorbed by your system.
- You just go for an organic vision supplement. Though they are expensive but their quality is better.
- If at the label of the supplement, fish oil is stated as the source of omega-3 fatty acid, then it should also state that they have eliminated harmful chemicals like mercury before manufacture. If anything like this is not mentioned then do not buy the supplement.
- Avoid taking vision supplements that contain dairy products or corn. It may cause intolerance problems. Reputable manufacturers do not formulate such substances.
Do You Need Vision Supplements?
A healthy diet is a source for your vitamins and minerals but sometimes supplements are required to reduce chances of eye disease and to boost your health.
You can do the following thing in addition to your diet to improve your vision:
- Drink water. Roughly 1.5 liters of water is recommended for an adult.
- Keep your eyes moist with eye drops.
- Change your air conditioner filters regularly.
- Avoid an environment that is dusty and dirty.
- If your house is dry use humidifiers. The usage depends on the climate you live in.
- Use cold compressions, cucumbers, and green tea bags on your eyes.
Tips For Eye Health
You can do the following to maintain good eye health:
- Have your eyes checked? You should get regular eye exams. go for an eye check-up if facing any difficulty.
- Control chronic health conditions. Certain diseases, such as diabetes and high blood pressure, can affect your vision if not treated.
- Protect your eyes from the sun. Wear sunglasses that block ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun
- Prevent eye injuries. You should try to wear protective eyewear when using products with toxic fumes for example spray paints.
- Eat healthy foods. You should try to eat leafy greens, other vegetables, and fruits. According to some studies eating diet fish like tuna and salmon benefit your eyes too.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking has a bad effect on your eyes as well.
- Use the right corrective lenses. The right lenses optimize your vision. You should take regular eye exams to ensure that your prescription glasses are correct.
- Use good lighting. Use good lighting for the place you work to reduce eyestrain.
- Reduce eyestrain. To reduce eyestrain you should use the 20-20-20 rule. It is a rule which states that you should look away from your desk every 20 minutes at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
Vision supplements can boost your eye health and can prevent different eye diseases but you should always buy them after seeing a doctor. The eye doctor will suggest you the right supplements according to your lifestyle. Taking supplements without an eye doctor’s recommendation can be injurious to health.
You can visit our eye care centre-Eyemantra care -for an appointment with the best ophthalmologist, who will recommend what is right for you. Book an appointment: Ph:+91-9711115191