Those who wear glasses know that glasses feel like a burden once you start playing sports. It becomes uncomfortable once you start sweating and are at a higher risk of breaking.
Polycarbonate or Trivex is the most protective eyeglass frame. These are thinner and lighter than the traditional eyeglass frames.
Trivex lenses are made up of lightweight and impact-resistant material. As an alternative to polycarbonate lenses, Trivex lenses were developed in 2001 by PPG industries.
Trivex lenses are created by a urethane-based monomer and are constructed just as a regular plastic lens.
Advantages of Trivex lens
- Lenses that are made from Trivex are resistant to scratches and breakage.
- Trivex lenses are also resistant to chemicals like Acetone and other solvents. They are also resistant to alcohol and isopropyl alcohol.
- Internal stress present in lenses can cause internal cracks but Trivex lenses are free of internal stress. Thus they do not cause internal cracks or cloudy vision.
- Trivex lenses are lightweight. They have a lower density ratio than other plastic lenses making Trivex comfortable. This makes it suitable for old age people. With age the skin of the nose becomes sensitive and light eyewear is suitable to reduce irritation.
- Trivex Lenses have Uv protection from UV-A and UV-B radiations.
- The aspheric lens design reduces the extra magnification that is done in ordinary lenses thus you get natural wider vision without distortion.
Disadvantages of Trivex Lens
- Trivex being a new product is difficult to find among retailers. They are available online which means you will not be able to test them physically.
- Trivex prescription lenses are very expensive. After the simple lens other add ons increase the price even more. Progressive lenses increase the price even more.
Will Trivex lenses suit you?
Trivex lenses are exceptionally lightweight and have excellent impact resistance and other optical properties. These features make these lenses extremely comfortable to wear.
With all the features you get with Trivex Lenses, you have to give something too. Trivex lenses are the most expensive lenses.
Your eye doctor will recommend if you are suited for Trivex lenses.
Developed In the 1970s polycarbonate is the original protective prescription eyewear. Polycarbonate offers impact-resistant, light, and comfortable glasses. After great development Polycarbonate lenses are used for making sports goggles and safety glasses. Rimless glasses also use polycarbonate lenses to provide stronger pairs of glasses without rims, which increases the durability level.
Advantages of Polycarbonate Lenses
- Blocks UV rays. Exposure to the suns’ ultraviolet rays can cause skin cancer and damage your eyes too. Sunglasses that have polycarbonate lenses provide protection from harmful ultraviolet radiation. It reduces the chances of eye conditions such as Macular Degeneration, cataracts, and melanoma.
- It is lightweight and thin. It is 25% thinner than glass lenses and is known for its extremely lightweight. They are more comfortable to wear and best for a child.
- Perfect Impact resistance. It can survive the impact of a steel ball at 160km/hr without breakage. They are harder to get a scratch or shatter.
Disadvantages of Polycarbonate lenses
- Eyecare is important but when you look at the price of polycarbonate lenses it adds as a disadvantage in the decision-making process. Your optician will tell you the best price and the importance of a polycarbonate lens.
- Polycarbonate lenses are less durable than Trivex lenses. They are thinner lighter and durable than the glass and plastic lenses but not Trivex lenses.
Are polycarbonate lenses made for you?
Polycarbonate lenses are durable thus they are recommended by an ophthalmologist for children. If you regularly play sports or have an active job, then these lenses are preferable. Your eye doctor can help you make an informed decision regarding the choice of a lens which will be suitable for you.
Polycarbonate vs. Trivex Eyeglass Lenses
Comparison between polycarbonate and Trivex lenses
- Weight: Trivex is 10% lighter than polycarbonate lenses because Trivex has lower specific gravity.
- Thickness: Polycarbonate lenses are 10 % thinner than Trivex lenses because they have a higher refractive index.
- Impact Resistance: Both have the same impact resistance.
- UV protection: Both block 100% of UV rays without UV-blocking lens coating.
- Optical clarity: Trivex lenses have better central and peripheral optical clarity.
- Cost: Polycarbonate lenses are comparatively cheaper than Trivex.
Scratch protection: Trivex and Polycarbonate both the lenses are covered with scratch protection coating. It provides an impact-resistant option which makes it possible for them to absorb impact without fracturing.
It is important to choose the right frame when the main purpose is to protect one’s eyes.
Polycarbonate and Trivex lenses both are high–quality frames used for eye protection during sports.
While playing sports it is important to get lenses that are specially designed for athletics. These frames will protect your eye in case of an injury.
If choosing for children frames which are lighter and thinner should be picked.
Make sure to visit a Doctor If you ever injure your eye or face any vision difficulty during picking an eyeglass.
You may visit our hospital in Delhi or can get in touch with us through our website www.eyemantra.in
Call 8851044355 or mail us at [email protected] to book your appointment with us.