Since the advent of “Online eye testing”, people have received the advantage of getting their eyes checked at either a very nominal cost or a very low cost and people can take this test, at the comfort of their homes. An online eye test does not possess the ability to draft an accurate health report of the eye. It can be defined as purely a form of “online vision test”. These online eye tests can never detect the actual problems which have been persisting in the eye, they only have the power to foretell the quality of a person’s eyesight or assist in the prescription of a particular form of contact lens or spectacle. But if a person has one or more, serious forms of eye ailments such as cataracts, glaucoma, or macular degeneration, then the use of any online eye test becomes nullified. Only a proper checkup by an actual eye specialist can detect the presence of these eye ailments, which have a level of severity. Also, the effectiveness of the type of spectacles or contact lenses, prescribed by these online eye tests is a severe issue because in certain cases of these tests, incorrect prescriptions were found, which further puts a question mark on the authenticity of these tests.
Advantages of online eye testing
- The online buying of contact lenses or spectacles, having a previous prescription is a very old process because in these cases, a person has already made a visit to an eye specialist for availing the prescription, and with this test, he just wants to make sure that the prescription is still valid for him. But according to some eye specialists, these physicals trips for prescription of a contact lens or a spectacle are entirely unnecessary when the option of “online eye testing is available”. In more recent times, these forms of online eye testing have been said to be cost-effective and are a fast, safe, and affordable option, in comparison to physical trips to an eye specialist.
- With the advancement of technology, “online eye testing” has improved a lot since it’s inception. Now, these tests also offer the option of having a face to face interaction with an eye specialist, which attracts certain customers, who want to avoid the burden of making a physical trip.
- Deficiencies present in the infrastructure of the current “Eye health care system” can also be eradicated by this particular category of eye testing. Online eye testing removes the necessity of the presence of any form of physical structure because everything is done online.
- A particular number of eye care providers, also offer the option of “Online refraction testing” to their customers. This test tells that whether a person, needs contact lenses or spectacles and this form of online eye testing has also a very high quality of precision, in terms of the prescription.
- If a person decides to go for “Online eye testing”, then the amount of expenses he has to bear is way less than the expenses incurred during the physical trip to an eye-specialist. Because in the case of a physical trip, a person has to make the journey to the clinic, which becomes a very time-consuming factor.
Disadvantages of online eye testing
- The accuracy level of an “online eye test”, does not stand at a very optimal level. As the cases of high levels of errors in the prescription are very common.
- This particular form of eye testing is not a viable alternative to a physical trip made by a person, for a comprehensive and detailed eye exam.
- Several forms of eye ailments that have a high-risk level, cannot be assessed by an online eye test. The names of several eye-related ailments with a high severity level are:-
- AMD(Age-related macular degeneration):- It’s an age-related eye disorder and leads to damaged “sharp and central vision”.
- Cataract:- This form of a medical condition is defined as the clouding of the “eyes lenses” and this condition is the leading cause of “blindness” on an international scale.
- Diabetic Retinopathy:- This condition is characterized by a severe level of damage in “retina’s blood vessels”, which are necessary for good vision.
- Glaucoma:- This form of eye disease, results in damage to the optic nerve of the eye and can also cause permanent blindness.
- Misdiagnosis due to the online eye test can result in anxiety for a person, till the time he has made a proper visit to the eye specialist.
- “Online eye testing”, can also result in the generation of false-negative results, which can make the person to have a false sense of security. The most severe implication of a false negative result is that the person may start ignoring a vision-threatening ailment, which is still in its early stages.
- The purchase of an incorrect type of spectacle or contact lens due to an inaccurate prescription which was generated by the online eye test can result in blurry vision or severe straining of the eye muscles” due to their prolonged use.
- The physical visit to an eye specialist will ensure the detection of any vision-threatening disease at it’s onset, which in return will help the patient to start his treatment at an appropriate time. But in the case of online eye testing, only vision assessment can be done, which has a high margin of error.
- This form of testing requires a person’s camera to have a high resolution, which can become a problem for a majority of people, who want to take the benefit of online eye testing.
- This particular form of eye testing requires a person to maintain a steady posture throughout the test, which can cause irritation to the concerned person.
- If a person has a colour blindness, then he automatically becomes ineligible for this test.
The option of “online eye testing”, may not be a feasible alternative to a comprehensive eye exam but it can still be of use. In case a person starts to feel that his vision is getting deteriorated then an online eye test can assess the severity of the same and prompt a quick visit to the eye specialist. This form of test usually has a low cost in comparison to the expenses entailed during a proper visit to the eye specialist but the reduced expense in the case of an online eye test” also comes with high risk as several eye-related ailments which are sight-threatening, are not detected by this form of test. Before a person decides to go for an online eye test, he is advised to understand the basic nature of services provided by the online eye care provider. A majority of eye specialists, do not recommend the option of “online eye testing” because according to them, for a healthy and precise vision, an extensive physical examination of the eyes is the best option. And with a proper eye exam, various blindness causing ailments can be detected in their early stages and their treatment can be started at the correct time.