What Are Itchy Eyes?
Itchy eyes cause a lot of distraction from your daily activities. It leads to red eyes which might later be painful and irritates. You might do anything to cure them but before that knowing the cause for itchy eyes gives us a clear path for the correct treatment. You should be aware of the difference between several causes of itchy eyes, for example, you should know the difference between the symptoms of the allergic eyes and an infected eye. Without knowing the difference you can just make the condition of the eyes worse.
The following are some of the major reasons why people get itchy eyes.
Causes of Itchy Eyes
Itchy eyes can be caused due to several reasons. Some of the most common and major reasons that cause itchy eyes are mentioned below:
In this people get itchy eyes at the same time every year. You might be allergic to ragweed or something else that blooms in that particular season.
One way to distinguish between allergies and infections are, in allergies you get allergic reactions like sneezing and nasal congestion.
Allergic symptoms are caused by a compound named Histamine. It is released by the cells to defend against allergens. Common signs to know that histamines are working are that you will get itchy and burning eyes. You can reduce the symptoms by going into a particular area or avoiding the objects that you are allergic to.
To avoid allergies make sure you follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Pay attention to the daily weather report. Avoid going outside if the weather is unlikely.
- Stay home and keep the windows closed during the pollen season.
- Take shower and wash your clothes frequently to avoid coming in contact with the pollen and keeping them away from your airways.
- Wear a pollen mask when going outside.
- If you have symptoms or any other serious problems make sure to visit a doctor as soon as possible.
Some people are sensitive to smoke, certain perfumes, or maybe petrol and Diesel exhaust. It is advised for them to avoid going to such places and avoid getting exposed to such irritants.
If it is causing great trouble to your eyes the doctor might prescribe you with some eye drops to soothe it down or you may also use a cool, damp cloth over your closed eyes to cool it down.
Your eyes are very sensitive to viruses, bacteria, and infections. Therefore, it is necessary to protect them against these diseases to keep the eyes healthy and safe.
Another major reason for eye infection can be uveitis, inflammation in the iris. It can cause extreme pain and sensitivity to light.
Both kinds of infections should be treated by a doctor. Antibiotics and steroids are used to treat conjunctivitis. Anti-inflammatory eye drops can be used to treat uveitis.
When the production of water in the eyes reduces or maybe stops due to several reasons it leads to dry and itchy eyes. The reason behind this is the tears which are made up of water, oil and mucus provides your eyes with nourishment and keeps them moist and refreshed.
The most common cause of dry eyes can be old age. As you grow old your eyes eventually get weak leading to low or no tear production. Other reasons can be diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis. Certain medications can treat dry eyes. Therefore, make sure you visit an eye doctor as soon as you have any problem in the eyes. You might be prescribed with certain eye drops to keep your eyes moist and refreshed.
Working on a computer screen for a long duration of time, reading in dim light, can strain your eyes causing itchiness and tiredness in the eyes. Driving at dim light or too bright light for a long duration can also lead to eye strain.
Eye strain also develops when you force yourself to stay awake when you are tired. The best treatment for eye strain is to give some rest to your eyes. Make sure you sleep well and do not overburden your eyes. Keep them cool by rinsing them 3-4 times a day and avoid working on screens too much.
Wearing contact lenses for too long or sleeping while wearing the contact lens can cause extreme itchiness and pain in the eyes. Make sure you don’t over wear the contact lens as it can be harmful to the eyes. If you sleep while your contact lens put on by mistake make sure you ways your eyes as soon as you wake up.
Go for regular check-ups as avoid wearing a contact lens to a place where you can wear the spectacles.
Stop Rubbing Your Eyes
People tend to rub their eyes when their eyes get itchy. However, you might be unaware that rubbing the eyes can lead to eye diseases. When you rub your eyes it might lead to a scratch in the cornea (part of the eye responsible for refracting and bending the light). As the cornea gets affected the improper amount of light can enter into the eyes leading to eye diseases. Sometimes the cornea does not cure with medicines therefore; the only option left to treat the cornea then is the surgery. In the surgery, the doctors replace a certain part of the cornea with artificial tissue.
There are certain cases in which the condition was so worse that it couldn’t be treated with the surgery as well. Many people go blind or have permanent vision problems due to scratch in the cornea. This scratch occurs when you rub your eyes. Therefore, do not rub the eyes even if it is itchy. Rather visit a doctor where he/she will provide you with certain eye drops to keep your eyes cool and away from the itchiness.
Things To Keep In Mind
There are several things you should keep in mind if you have itching, redness, or any other problem in the eye.
- Visit an eye doctor as soon as your eyes start to bother you. Delaying in the treatment can lead to greater risks.
- Wear your sunglasses when your eyes are exposed to the sunlight to protect them from the harmful UV Ray’s.
- Do not share your personal belongings that come in contact with your eyes as it can pass away the infections from one person to the other.
- Make sure to go for regular eye check-ups, as wearing improper or damaged contact lens can cause great damage to the eyes.
- Avoid going to places or using products you are allergic to, it can cause several eye diseases.
- Make sure you complete your 7-8 hour sleep cycle every day as to avoid eye strain.
Prevention of Itchy Eyes
The root cause of the problem would help you to determine the treatment and necessary precautions that need to be taken by you:
- Maintaining good eye health and hygiene would prevent frequent dry eyes.
- Using humidifiers in dry and hot air would prevent itchy eyes.
- Avoid rubbing eyes when they are sore.
- Also, Avoid smoking and scented candles as the smoke generated from them can irritate the eyes.
- Avoid using products that can cause an allergic reaction.
- Wear sunglasses when going out.
- Stay hydrated.
- Maintain a healthy diet that includes fluids and vitamin A.
Home Remedies For Itchy Eyes
- Cucumber Slices
- Cold Compress
- Green Tea Bags
- Aloe Vera
Itching in the eyes causes great difficulty in focusing on your daily work. Therefore, visit a doctor if you have any problem. It can be caused due to several factors like infections, dry eyes, or allergies. Do not treat the eyes on your eyes as the treatment for all the cause is different. Avoid going to places or doing something if your doctor doesn’t allow you for that thing. Do not rub the eyes as it can cause damage to the cornea. Instead of rubbing you can always wash them or use a cold compress over the eyes. Make sure you keep your eyes healthy and take proper precautions.