How Fasting Causes Dry Eyes?
Living in a country like India, we have a plethora of religious cultures. Every religious tradition has its own significance. But one thing that all these religions follow up is Fasting. We can say that fasting is one of the most followed cultural aspects in our diversified country. Though fasting has its positive as well as negative sides in the aspect of our health. Fasting is the abstaining from having certain foods or overall eating for a particular duration of time. Fasting may be referred to as a metabolic status of a human being who has not been recorded to eat overnight, or the state of metabolism where one has achieved the completion of its digestion and absorption of the food.
What Are Dry Eyes?
Dry eyes are referred to an eye complication where the patient’s tear gland suffers a disorder which leads to the shortage or no production of sufficient tears in order to keep the eyes healthy and moist. A thin layer in the eye consists of the tear protein which sustains eyes to keep them properly moist. When the eyes suffer the shortage of tears from the tear gland, it may lead to severe vulnerability to dust, dirt and irritants. It further results in painful sensation, irritation, burning, redness and severe agonizing pain in the eye.
An eye consists of three different layers that help in the formation of the tear protein layer. These include mucus, water and oil. Damage or harm caused to any of these layers can coax to the depletion of the tear protein. Hence this causes dry eyes and makes them prone to many more infections and irritants.
Causes of Dry Eye
The cause of dry eyes involves many factors other than fasting. As one gets older, the rate at which one produces tears tends to decrease and the quality of tears may suffer as the gland might start to slow down. Other causes are:
- Certain side effects of medications can cause one to have dry eyes.
- Post effects of certain eye surgery cause dry eyes.
- Protracted use of eye contacts has shown results that cause dry eyes.
- Prolonged exposure to digital screens such as laptops, phones etc. can cause dry eyes.
- Exposure to a dusty environment also affects the person which may lead to the cause of dry eyes.
You can get dry eyes diagnosed after a complete eye examination at the best Eye Hospital Delhi.
Effect of Fasting On Eyes?
When we don’t eat certain fluids or food for an interval of time, it leaves some negative impact on our body. One of them is dry eyes. Being the most sensitive part of the body, eyes tend to be affected first. Dry eye is a condition in which the eye cannot produce enough tears. Tears are necessary to protect eyes from dust particles, pollutants and other foreign material. In the absence of tears or tear proteins our eyes may get infected easily or other serious complications can be developed in worse case scenarios.
According to medical researches, the fluids in our body function according to the nutrients we intake. But in the case of fasting functioning of these fluids is affected. Therefore, with prolonged fasting, one can suffer a severe or advanced level of dry eyes. This results in the decrease of the moisture level that one requires to keep the eyes healthy. To conclude, lack of nutrients in the body can cause changes in tear protein production, leading to dry eyes.
Negative Impacts of Fasting
There are certain factors that lead to the dry eye and also several body-related complications which might be generic or severe to one’s health in a day to day life.
Consistent fasting for a very long time can cause one’s body metabolism to slow down. This is due to the very common reason as the nutrient intake in the body decreases with a gradual rate and the person tends to be weak and mild. Not only eyes but also other part of the human body gets affected. The digestion system of the body is severely affected along with the eye complication.
Also, it has some acrid results regarding the body weight. It is found that people tend to gain weight with fasting. This is due to the depletion of the rate of metabolism and the body cannot properly digest food which results in an increase in body weight.
Benefits of Fasting
Fasting has been practiced for centuries because it has many health benefits. Some of them are-
- Fasting improves physical health.
- Some studies have shown that fasting can reduce inflammation.
- May optimize blood pressure and blood sugar which will protect from several chronic diseases.
- Fasting helps in diabetes management as it reduce insulin resistance.
- Fasting could have a powerful effect on brain health; it boosts functioning of brain and may prevent neurodegenerative disorders as a result of reducing inflammations.
- Improves overall health by improving metabolism.
- Fasting helps in detoxing as it is a state of total digestion and absorption.
Treatment For Dry Eyes
One is always welcomed at EyeMantra with the smallest of the small complications regarding eye care. As with dry eyes, EyeMantra tends to offer people with the best specialities in order to recover the problem. Many measures can be taken as per the guidance of EyeMantra to reduce the problem of dry eyes. The tear protein is one of the most important films of the body. One should take urgent precautions when they are aware of the fact that they might be suffering from dry eyes.
Thus, one must increase their intake of water and consume a rich- nutrient diet at the end if they are fasting. Overall intake of flaxseed, orange and citrus fruits help in further induced eye complications.
While suffering from such types of complications one should avoid going out in a dusty environment which may lead to dryness in eyes. Symptoms like eye pain more than regular irritation, stiffness, continuous dryness even after taking precautions etc should not be neglected.
Learn more about Eye Care in Pollution
How Can One Avoid Dry Eyes?
- Frequent blinking tends to increase the amount of tear fluid produced in the eyes. This happens due to the exercising of the eye muscle which increases the fluid production in the eyes. This exercise tends to create a fresh layer of the tear protein in the eye.
- Regular eye care is a must for anyone in their day-to-day life. This helps them prevent not only dry eyes but also many complications like pink eyes, conjunctivitis, etc.
- Wearing sunglasses during daylight where the exposure to the sun is for a prolonged duration can help eyes to be protected from the harmful UV rays. As it has been seen that UV rays from the sun affect the eyes.
- Proper medication care must be taken. This is for people who suffer from diseases other than dry eyes. Fasting tends to affect their body in ways that may cause severe health problems.
Yes, fasting causes dry eyes. To know for sure if your dry eyes need prevention, medicines or surgery, is to visit the best Eye Hospital Delhi. Your eye doctor will examine the eye thoroughly.
Thus, these are some guidelines offered by EyeMantra to people who might have a general query regarding the eye complication. EyeMantra helps people by making them aware of the tiniest of the tiny complications which should not be foreseen by people. With EyeMantra, one can always have a proficient cure to the eye complication one suffers.
To know for sure if your dry eyes need prevention, medicines or surgery, is to visit the best Eye Hospital Delhi. Your eye doctor will examine the eye thoroughly.
Call +91-8851044355 now and book an appointment with EyeMantra. Or mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.